What is the Green Card processing time?

  • 1

 What is the Green Card processing time?

One of the most common question immigrants have is what is the Green Card processing time.

The green card processing time is very long, as you will have to deal with numerous government problems. The process can be frustrating and slow if you just jump in headfirst.

The main steps you will most likely need to take include the following:

1º. You should decide whether you will need an immigration attorney or not.zmerican flag

Immigration law is really complex and paperwork-intensive, so having a professional help could avoid you a big headache and expensives mistakes.

If you desire to apply through an employer, you must wait while the employer make a “prevailing wage” request and receives a prevailing wage determination (PWD) from DOL (the USA Department of Labor).

The PWD would tell the employer how much money would normally pay in similar jobs. Meanwhile, your employer will have to hire an American worker for the position and then, assuming that fails, file a labor certification on your behalf.

At this point, you must wait a long time, while either your employer fills out for you what is called a “visa petition”.

There are two different forms, Form I-130 form family and Form I-140 for employer.

The visa petition shows either that you are the petitioner’s family member or that you have been offered a job and received labor certification.

USCISIt may take months or even years for USA Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to approve the petition.


Furthermore, if, in the category under which you are applying, only limited numbers of visas or green cards are given out every year, you’ll need to wait until the people in line ahead of you have received their green cards (which can take years).

Ultimately, you get to fill out your own set of application forms and collect various documents.

FAMILY-BASED IMMIGRATION - shutterstock_53299765

You will submit these to either a U.S. consulate in your home country (if you’re doing “Consular Processing”) or to USCIS in the United States, depending on where you live and, if you live in the United States, whether you’re eligible to use the “Adjustment of Status” application process.

Adjustment of status would allow you to apply for a green card without returning to your home country first, but many people are not eligible to adjust status, particularly if they entered the U.S. without inspection.

About Author

U.S. Visa Lawyer in New York & New Jersey

U.S. Visa Lawyer in New York & New Jersey

1 Comment


February 21, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Hamdan Qudah Esq. We are here to answer any immigration questions our website qudahlaw.com

Leave a Reply